Thursday, June 22, 2006

Books of Ember Series by Jeanne Duprau

When I was about 12 I was at a family reunion on my cousin's farm and I disappeared. My ENTIRE family, including 2 grandparents, 2 parents, 2 sisters, 22 cousins, and 10 aunts and uncles spent the better part of 2 hours searching for me. They checked the house, the barn, inside all the cars, under the tractor, in the apple orchard, and down by the creek, but I was never found. It wasn't until my baby sister called my name near the tree where I was comfortably nestled that I even knew they had missed me. What was I doing that I hadn't noticed my frantic family finely combing the farm for my face? I was reading. Specifically, I was reading The Witches by Roald Dahl (a FANTASTIC book...much better than the movie).

See, I used to get in trouble ALL THE TIME for reading when I was supposed to be doing something else (like being kissed by my aunts at a family reunion). I manage much better nowadays, but, I have to admit that yesterday morning I told my husband that I would have the kitchen cleaned up before he got home from work and I just didn't do it. Instead, I read The Prophet of Yonwood by Jeanne Duprau. This is the third book in her Books of Ember Series which tells the ever enfolding tale of our world some years from now when war and politics have taken their toll on our fair earth. In Ember, we see the great City of Ember, built in an effort to save the human race from complete devestation. In Sparks we see the village of Sparks and how they handle the arrival of the strange, backward yet technological, citizens of Ember and in Yonwood we find out how it all started. You will be hooked by the sparky, courageous characters that inhabit these books, as well as by the intriguing ideas that these books bring into your head. You might even forget to visit your family, do your dishes, or remember that your own world even exists at all. I know I did! Til next time! -Suzanne

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

suzanne, can you explain the third book, i started reading it, but couldn't catch th reference to the other two! where is Doon? where is Everybody! just wondering if they eventually show up.

Suzanne said...

I've been trying to reply to this comment for weeks now, so let's hope this works...there may be some SPOILERS! so don't read it if you are planning on reading hte books.

Okay, your confusion stems from not understanding the timeline of the books. If we were to line them up chronologically (earliest first...latest last) the first book would be The Prophet of Yonwood. It takes place before The City of Ember which also takes place before The People of Sparks. So, at the end of Phrophet when Nicki grows old and participates in that scientific program, what program do you think she is participating in? The City of Ember, of course...so her relationship to Lina and Doon is simply the fact that she was one of the first people to live in Ember...should could also be their ancestor, but I don't think that's ever disclosed, however, it is her journal that Lina and Doon find at the end of Ember. Hope that helps!

Suzanne said...

Of course the above comment is full of errors...just deal, okay?
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

I loved that series! It is so good. I would definitly recommend it!

Suzanne said...

Hi Molli,
Thanks for your comment! I'm glad you read and loved the books!

Suzanne

Hiba said...

Suzanne! You're missing one! I just found out there's a fourth book - The Diamond of Darkhold. It's after The People of Sparks. Care to let us know what you think about it (after you read it of course)?
Oh, and have you seen the movie? Is it worth it? Or does it totally butcher the actual story (like what happened with Ella Enchanted and the Series of Unfortunate Events and numerous others)?

Suzanne said...

Hi Hiba! I miss you! This post was before the 4th book came out but you are certainly right. I've read it already and I liked it much more than number 3. It was more like number 1. I think it will be the last book in the series and if so, DuPrau will be safe ending there. Have you read it yet? Definately a good fast read.

I haven't seen the movie but I've heard good things...I actually heard it was pretty scary, but that was from a 3rd grader... :)

Really great to hear from you!
Suzanne