Saturday, July 01, 2006

Books like Cut by Patricia McCormick - A List

We had a book discussion the other day on Cut by Patricia McCormick. This book is about Callie and how she has to go to a hospital to get treated for cutting, which is a form of self-injury used as a coping mechanism by about 1% of the population. Self-injury is often misunderstood by people who think that the cutter does it to get attention. Actually, cutting is a sickness a lot like anorexia or bulimia. It is usually tied to deeper issues. We had a great discussion on the book. Here are some other books with similar themes you might enjoy if you liked Cut and are interested in reading something else:

OTHER BOOKS THAT DEAL WITH SELF-INJURY (cutting):
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
Crosses (coming soon to the YA department)by Shelley Stoehr

OTHER BOOKS THAT DEAL WITH SELECTIVE MUTISM (not speaking):
The Sledding Hill by Chris Crutcher
Silent to the Bone by E. L. Konsgsburg
Blood Secret by Kathryn Lasky
I Can’t Tell You by Hillary Frank
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

OTHER BOOKS THAT DEAL WITH STAYING IN A MENTAL HOSPITAL:
It’s Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

its kind of a funny story is such a good book, it is a tear jerker, and a laugh out lod book all at the same time! READ THIS BOOK!

Suzanne said...

I've also heard that Girl Interrupted is similar. The book...not the movie. Suzanne

Caitlin said...

that is 100% true...except for the head drawings, there are no head drawings in girl interrupted.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book when I was younger. It was funny and slightly heartbreaking at the same time and I just thought it was brilliant.
Another I'd recommend is 'Checkers' by John Marsden. It's a young adults book written like a diary about a girl in a mental hospital and it use to be one of my favourites.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book when I was younger, it was funny and slightly heartbreaking at the same time and I thought it was brilliant.
Another I'd recommend is 'Checkers' by John Marsden. It's a young adults book written like a diary about a girl in a mental hospital and it use to be one of my favourites.