Monday, May 08, 2006

A Corner of the Universe by Ann M. Martin

Summer...ah...a perfect time to read this book. I started reading Ann M. Martin way back when the Babysitter's Club books first came out. I snuck into my big sister's room and would read her books on the sly. She eventually found out and wasn't quite as mad as I thought she might be. But after a while, the Babysitter's Club books became a little...stale. Maybe it was me. Maybe it was growing up. But maybe it was the fact that those girls (and Logan) never, ever aged. There was something so...disturbing about that. A Corner of the Universe is not like the Babysitter's Club books. A Corner of the Universe is a summer story with special attraction for girls. The book is set in a little town in the 1950's, not unlike our own Lebanon and tells the story of Hattie Owen and her quiet discoveries the summer she turns 12. Oh, it's such a sweet story. Read it. Cry. Laugh. Learn. Till next time! -Suzanne

No comments: