Friday, May 05, 2006

Historical Fiction: Spotlight on the Civil War - List

I am really digging on this blogging thing. I know...I'm a dork. I know some of you love reading about history. When I was about 11 I watched a mini series about the Civil War called "The Blue and the Gray." If you haven't seen it, it is really good (although I'm well aware how OLD it is now). Anyway, after I watched it I actually felt like I understood how complicated the Civil War really was. Having Jean drag my sisters and I (kicking and screaming) to Gettysburg for Spring Break one year solidified it. Gettysburg is one creepy little town. But hey, aren't most wars creepy? Anyway, here's a list of Civil War-type books. Till next time! -Suzanne

FICTION
How I Fought the Strong by Margaret McMullan

Girl in Blue by Ann Rinaldi

Annie Between the States by Laura Elliot

The Land by Mildred T. Taylor

Gurilla Season by Pat Hughes

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

The Heart Calls Home by Joyce Hansen

Soldier’s Heart by Gary Paulsen

A Light in the Storm by Karen Hesse

Silent Thunder: A Civil War Story by Andrea Davis Pinkney

NONFICTION
The Civil War at Sea by George Sullivan

Billy Yank and Johnny Reb by Susan Provost Beller

Those Courageous Women of the Civil War by Karen Zienert

No comments: